- God promised Abraham his descendants would occupy the land. But he and Sarah had to wait long years for Isaac to be born.
- God promised Abraham his descendants would occupy the land. But they still had to go through years of captivity in Egypt.
- God promised Abraham his descendants would be as numerous as the stars in the sky. But Isaac had to pray to God so that Rebekah would conceive. (Gen 25:21)
- Moses believed God would deliver the people of Israel through him. But the call to go to Pharaoh didn't come until he was 80.
- God sent plague after plague. But Pharaoh hardened his heart, then God hardened Pharaoh's heart so he wouldn't let the people go.
- God gave the prophets promises of a coming Messiah. But the people had to wait for centuries.
- We've been in the "last days" for nearly two thousand years.
So why is it so surprising when we have to wait, when we're confronted with circumstances that seem to deny the promises of God?